True Or False?
True or False? Teeth require the same care with or without braces. The answer to that is false! Teeth with braces require much more care and cleaning time than teeth without braces. Braces create many tiny spaces that are perfect places to trap food, creating tooth decay. Continue reading to learn the necessary steps to keep teeth clean and healthy while wearing braces.
Braces are a large investment to assure that, at completion of treatment, the teeth are perfectly straight. It would be a shame if you have perfectly straight teeth but they are full of tooth decay due inadequate cleaning practices. It is important to complete some simple cleaning procedures before your braces are removed to ensure that your teeth remain healthy. It is also important to clean braces properly to help prevent damage to the braces themselves.
Steps to Properly Clean Braces
- Remove elastics or any other removable appliance from your treatment.
- Brush the braces first, paying careful attention to remove any leftover food or debris. It is recommended to brush at a 45 degree angle. If necessary, use a proxabrush to clean the hard to reach areas.
- Next, brush the teeth, being sure to clean each tooth individually, brushing the exterior first, followed by the interior. Use gentle pressure and move in a circular motion.
- Be sure to also clean along the gumline, tongue, and roof of the mouth.
- Follow with flossing and mouthwash.
Because braces require extra care, it is important to note that teeth should be brushed in the morning, after every meal, and before bed. While it may not always be possible to brush after every meal, water should always be rinsed in the mouth to help remove leftover food particles.
It is important that you maintain a healthy diet and follow the recommended food list. If something breaks or becomes uncomfortable, contact our office to schedule an emergency appointment.
If you have any questions about how to clean your teeth or need a demonstration about the proper way to clean or remove food particles from your braces, please ask during your next appointment at our location in Southfield, MI. Happy brushing and cleaning!