Common Orthodontic Terms You Should Know
Do you or a loved one visit our office for treatment and you are confused with the terminology that you hear? We know that it can be a little tricky to understand not only the different treatments we offer, but the vocabulary and terms used for each one. It is important to have some idea what the more popular terms mean especially if you or a loved one experience an emergency and have to explain over the phone what is broken. We have created a glossary of ten popular orthodontic terms to help guide you. Read on to see how many terms you are familiar with.
Orthodontic Glossary of Ten Common Terms
Are you confused every time you come to our office for an adjustment or checkup and aren’t quite sure what we are talking about? Or perhaps you are just starting out on your orthodontic journey and are unsure of which treatment we are referring to. We are here to help. We have created a glossary of some of our most common words used in the office:
- Aligners – clear, removable trays used to slowly transition teeth into place
- Archwire – metal wire connected to brackets used to help move teeth
- Band – metal ring attached to the back molars
- Bracket – metal, plastic, or ceramic piece attached to the teeth that holds the archwire
- Elastics (rubber bands) – used to assist in moving the teeth and jaw
- Elastic tie – tiny rubber ring, available in many colors, used to attach archwire to the bracket
- Expander – fixed or removable appliance used to adjust the jaw
- Mouthguard – placed over teeth and braces as protection when playing sports
- Separator or spacer – placed between molars to create a space for bands to fit around molars
- Wax – can be placed on brackets and wires to stop irritation to lips and gums
If you have any questions about orthodontic care, are interested in learning more about a particular treatment, or experience an emergency be sure to call our office located in Southfield, MI. We look forward to hearing from you soon.