Achieve Better Function of Your Jaw
Orthodontic appliances such as braces and retainers can help straighten teeth and improve misaligned bites. In some cases, however, we recommend jaw surgery, also known as orthognathic surgery, to help dramatically improve skeletal and dental abnormalities and improve the way your jaw functions. The corrections made can also improve your facial appearance.
We may recommend jaw surgery for individuals who have the following conditions:
- Difficulty biting, chewing, and/or swallowing food
- Chronic jaw or joint pain
- Space between upper and lower teeth when mouth is closed, or open bite
- Unbalanced facial appearance
- Facial injury or birth defects
- Receding lower jaw and chin
- Jaw placement that causes breathing problems
These are instances where orthodontics alone can not solve the problem. Jaw surgery has many advantages that include:
- Improving biting and chewing
- Correcting issues with speech and swallowing
- Reducing wear and breakdown of teeth
- Correcting bites or jaw closure problems
- Correcting facial imbalances
- Relieving pain of the jaw joint
- Repairing injuries or birth defects
Jaw surgery can be a life-changing event that brings about relief both for the patient both physically and mentally. However, patients will undergo a thorough evaluation to make sure it is the right fit for their needs. Images will be taken to closely examine the functional and aesthetic needs that surgery can provide.
With orthodontics and jaw surgery, we can help you achieve better function of your jaw so that it is in a healthier position for life. You’ll also notice a more balanced facial appearance and improved speech. Our goal is to ensure your health goals, as well as your happiness, are met if you need this procedure.
At The Best Braces, we help patients in Southfield, MI and the surrounding area get the best orthodontic care possible. Please call us today at 248-965-1143 for a consultation.